Blast Away Bad Mood With These 11 Fast Fixes

“Bad moods become bad days, which become bad weeks, which become bad months and years. Before you know it, you’re living an unhappy life and you probably think this is ‘normal’. It’s a shame, because life can and should be wonderful. You can transcend the circumstances that are pulling you down … you need only to learn how.”

- Brenda Anderson

You’re having another bad day. Your Internet is down. You discover a past-due credit card bill. The salesclerk rings up your order wrong. A traffic jam makes you late.

Man with a great moodOh, nothing catastrophic occurs, just a series of frustrating delays, minor mishaps, and dropped details that, cumulatively, make you crazy. All at once you realize you’re in a terrible mood, again. In fact, it’s hard to remember the last time you were in a really good mood.

At times, you feel awesome. At other times, you want the world to just be quiet. The bad news is that bad moods can be easy to acquire. The good news is, they can be just as easy to break.

The catch is that you have to want to break the mood. So, before a bad mood gets the best of you or your family, friends or coworkers, read these helpful tips to get over it and get on with it:

1. Divert your focus.

Sometimes you find yourself in a bad mood for no good reason. It could be because you aren’t doing anything productive. Find a project to focus on. The task doesn’t have to be a long or complicated one. It could be as easy as washing your car or finishing painting the backyard fence.

The point is to find something where you get tangible results. In turn, you will feel gratified, and feeling gratified is a great way to lift a bad mood.

2. Change your body posture.

Happy and energetic individuals take big steps, walk faster and stand taller. They seem to exude an endless supply of energy. In sharp contrast, pessimistic, unhappy and lifeless people shuffle their feet, take tiny steps, walk slowly and slouch. They appear lifeless and have burned–out their batteries.

Watch how you carry your body. Use the body-posture of happy, optimistic people, such as take big steps, walk faster and stand taller. Using these techniques will help you become happy and energetic. They are easy to carry out, and will create a positive domino effect with people in your life.

3. Take a break and have a cup of tea.

Sit quietly for 15 minutes. And keep your mind blank. Be one with yourself.

Often the silence is enough to change your mood. Sitting quietly keeping your mind off everything brings you back.

You can try doing this while having a cup of hot tea.

4. Find something that is guaranteed to make you smile.

It might be looking through old photo albums or popping in your all-time favorite movie. Engaging your senses or reliving fond memory is the perfect ticket out of Bad Moodville.

5. Pick some music and listen to it.

Almost everyone is familiar with the saying that music soothes the savage beast, and it’s certainly true when the beast is a bad mood.

Music is one of the most effective fast fixes for a bad mood. The next time you’re in a bad mood, try blasting it away with a favorite song. Something that makes you smile and dance will get rid of your blues in a flash, but there are plenty of options beyond a upbeat and cheery tune. To shake off a bad mood, try turning on some seriously angry music like punk rock or heavy metal, and turning it way up.

Misery loves company, and so long as you do it right, a blast of negativity can actually help lift your bad mood! Just take a deep breath when the song is over, and you’ll feel refreshed as your bad mood flies away.

6. Stay in the present.

Appreciate the mundane by focusing on the activities you do without thinking like eating, bathing, walking. Take notice of how good the water feels in the shower, how soft or hard the ground feels on your feet as you walk or just silently eat your meal and really taste it.

7. Give.

When you’re in a bad mood, you may feel like it’s all about you. Your problems are so overwhelming that you deserve to dwell in them. Instead of giving in to this way of thinking, just try giving.

Gather up those size 4 clothes that you haven’t been able to fit in since high school and donate them to the Salvation Army. Volunteer at the local soup kitchen for a few hours. When you witness other people’s problems, your problems might seem miniscule in comparison, therefore easier to solve.

8. Avoid emotional vampires.

Do you attract emotional vampires or losers into your life? Are you a loser magnet?

Emotional vampires and losers literally drain our batteries, slow us down and make us upset. To become happier, optimistic and energetic – avoid emotional vampires. Unhappy people allow “emotional vampires” to suck their positive feelings right out of their skulls. Emotional vampires include people who put you down, criticize or mock you, or sabotage your dreams and aspirations.

Discard or limit people, habits or situations that keep you from feeling optimistic and happy. In other words, ‘burn your bridges’ if needed. Remember: Happy and optimistic people hang around with personal cheerleaders. Unhappy people surround themselves with emotional vampires.

9. Overpower bad mood with an exercise high.

This is a great way to relieve bad mood and get those endorphins going. Even if it’s a walk around the block or jogging on the treadmill, exercise has a way of making you feel energized quickly.

You also become more in tune with your body and what it’s actually capable of, making you feel strong and accomplished.

10. Watch what you say – and never say words such as “try.”

To begin acting like happy and optimistic people, you need to learn what they do. Optimistic people act and talk in certain ways. For example, they use certain words. The words people use can affect their moods and energy levels. Changing your words can actually change your attitude and feelings. Use “upbeat” words, instead of “upset” words. For example, you can say, “I feel overwhelmed” which is upsetting. Or, you can say, “I feel challenged …nevertheless I can do it” which is upbeat.

One of the most interesting differences between happy and unhappy people is that happy people never or rarely use the word ‘try’ or ‘but.’ These two words leave people feeling hopeless and not in-control of their lives.

Happy people feel hopeful, and take tons of responsibility for their lives. The words ‘try’ and ‘but’ are excuses, and unhappy people have a bad case of ‘excuse-itis.

11. Pack an Emergency Bad Mood Kit.

Here is another great tip from Wanda L.:
An emergency bad mood kit can mean the difference between spending your day in an angry funk and spending your day feeling vibrant and calm.

To make an emergency bad mood kit, just grab a plastic bag or a small box and fill it with tiny treats that you know will make you feel great. There are lots of different “treats” that will lift a bad mood, so think creatively. A favorite candy can do the trick, but so will something with a lot of sentimental value, or an item that you find particularly aesthetically pleasing.

Whether it’s a photograph of a favorite place, or a morsel of something especially tasty, the fun of breaking open your bad mood kit to discover the fun fast fixes for the blues that you’ve hidden away is sure to bring a smile to your face.

Happiness is a process, something that you have to find and foster just like everything else in your life. So, get off your behind and grab your share of sunshine!

“A person’s name is to him or her the sweetest...

• Foxdie says:

As a note on #11, people shouldn’t “eat away” their problems however. Comfort food is good in small doses, but if you get carried away and turn to food whenever you feel down, because you want to fill the hole with food, things will just get worse, mentally and physically.

• Andreas says:

I’m feeling a bit down at the moment, but just reading your tips made me feel a bit happier. Great ideas!

• Gaya says:

Useful post Ririan! My only concern is number 3. When I take a break and be silent more and more thinking coming in and I end up with a tour to the past.

Foxie, I agree with you, many people turn to food for comfort whenever they’re facing a difficult problem or looking to keep themselves occupied. And often, emotional eating leads to eating too much food, especially high-calorie, sweet, salty and fatty foods.

So, choose a low-fat, low-calorie food, such as fresh fruit, vegetables with fat-free dip or unbuttered popcorn. Or test low-fat, lower calorie versions of your favorite foods to see if they satisfy you.

Anyway, when a bad mood needs to be changed, instead of unwrapping a candy bar, better take a walk, listen to some music, read or call a friend.

Thank you for your note Foxie.

Andreas thank you for your kind words :)

Gaya you have to rephrase your inner monologue. Acknowledge any lurking, nasty underbelly – know it’s there and call it what it is – jealousy, or anger, or fear. And let it go.

Then come up with three satisfying memories, three positive thoughts and/or goals for today, and three totally out-there wild hopes for the future. And let yourself smile.

When you take time for yourself it allows you to stop doing for awhile and to just BE. It is in the Being where your power lies. When you’re alone, you can honour and nurture yourself, you can hear your inner voice much more clearly – you can hear your own truth and this connection enables you to live authentically.

• Markus says:

Unfortunately it’s always easier said than done in such a situation … But it’s worth remembering and trying! :)

• Incomexit says:

My favorite one is no.5., it always helps me. 15-20 minutes of listening to music is a real painkiller and bad mood ‘fixer’. :)

Markus Maintaining a negative mood for a long period of time is harmful to our health. People think that getting stressed and anxious is bad for you. The key isn’t how stressed you are, but how long you are stressed.

Staying stressed for a long time can impair our immune and cardiovascular functions. So we should definitely at least remember and try. :)

Incomexit You’re right about music being a painkiller. According to a paper in the latest UK-based Journal of Advanced Nursing, listening to music can reduce chronic pain by up to 21 per cent and depression by up to 25 per cent.

• Viji says:

Ririan, yet another interesting article of my interest. I normally do the number 9 when i am upset. Apart from walking i concentrate more on yoga, breathing and meditation. I used to try a new posture in Yoga. If i get through my sprits will go high :) and the next thing i normally do is prepare some new dish which is my hobby. When it got appreciated, i forget everything. Thanks. Viji

Viji I hope you are putting the right fuel into your dishes, because that can make the difference between a happy day and a grumpy day. :)

Eating a well-balanced and varied diet, based on complex carbohydrates – whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes – increases our bodies’ production of the neurotransmitter serotonin, a chemical that communicates messages between neurons and other cells in the body. It’s known to be calming when present in moderate levels, and plays a role in moods, fatigue, depression, sexuality and appetite.

So, happy cooking my friend!

• Juan says:

I agree with Markus, it is easier said than done if you’re not feeling great. Anyway, the tips are excellent and the website too, I think I’m checking it daily, and right now I really need to use these tips. Thanks for the articles, have a good day.

Another tip: I love wrestling, it helps me watching a fight or playing a wrestling video game on friday’s afternoons or any day after a bad day.

Juan Professor Mark Griffiths, of Nottingham University in England, said in an editorial in the British Medical Journal:

“The degree of attention needed to play a video game can distract the player from the sensation of pain.”

So, when we’re in a bad mood, playing a game can distract ourselves from our negative thoughts. It looks like video games have therapeutic benefits. :)

• Denis Bratok says:

Hey Ririan! Another way to make your mood go UP is making a force smile for at least 10 seconds while looking in the mirror, then, a real smile will appear on your face, and a better mood is guaranteed after that!

PS: Good website! It helps me a lot! I’m checking it every day! Give us some more articles! ;)

Denis, Thanks for the tip. I’ll check it out next time I have a bad mood. :)

• Matt says:

Listen to U2 – Mysterious Ways. Lifts up your spirit, always. I guarantee it.

Matt, I also find U2 music to be relaxing. And now, as the group starts its third decade, U2 has found what it’s looking for – good music – songs that ring with melody and hooks – and meaning – while still weaving in some of the ambient and electronic textures. Great music.

• Jon Speer says:

I came across this post at the perfect time. Serendipity? Thanks for sharing. Time for me to meditate.

Jon, meditation is a wonderful tool to use, always available, and amazingly effective in short-term stress reduction. What’s even better is that benefits can be felt in just one session. And you don’t need an experienced teacher to start meditation; you can learn from a book or from the resources on a website.

• stevo says:

offtopic…

topic food. i think low fat… diet…. not good! real food. butter. stuff that brought up from honest people that really care. industrialisation leaves to much besides…because of unthoughtfulness.. hehe.

this goes for everything. search quality and give ur quality then life is good.

being happy is easier than we think if we think it´s not.

enjoy

stevie

• UD says:

I felt lot better after using the technique of diverting my focus and doing sth. that’ll bring a tangible value. After reading the first point itself I went ahead and decorated my room as I wanted to. It was one of the things I was thinking about from the time we moved. After that I sat down to complete rest of the points. For me the first point definately works for me.

Thank you very much.

• lepce says:

time,patience and words like yes,ok,good,fantastic and once again TIME AND PATIENCE. that’s all you need