15 Useless or Even Dangerous Eyesight Myths

“The eyes are not responsible when the mind does the seeing.”

- Publilius Syrus

EyesightIt’s important to separate fact from fiction, especially when the topic is eyesight. And old wives’ tales abound about the eyes. Many of these have no basis in fact and, for that matter, can be dangerous if you followed the advice put forth.

But knowing how to take good care of your eyes is the first step to protecting your sight for a lifetime. So here’s the lowdown on some eyesight myths:

Myth #1: “Sitting too close to the TV will damage your vision.”

There is no evidence that sitting close to the television will damage your eyes. So sit wherever you are most comfortable. Eyes may become tired from sitting too close for long periods, if the light in the room is too dim, or if the picture screen is out of focus.

Myth #2: “Reading in the dark will weaken your eyesight”

As with sitting too close to the television, reading in dim light can cause eye fatigue, but it is not harmful and cannot damage your vision.

Myth #3: “Some eye exercises can improve your vision.”

Being alive and looking around at your world is all that is necessary to keep your muscles “toned.” Any extra effort is a waste of time and has no benefit. This myth has made many people wealthy, but rolling your eyes around has no effect on your vision.

Myth #4: “You can wear your eyes out by using them too much.”

Eyes are not like light bulbs. So you cannot wear your eyes out by using them. In fact they can last your entire lifetime if they are healthy. Cutting down on reading or close work, will not help or harm your eyesight.

Myth #5: “”Vision improves in older people as they gain second sight.”

“Second sight” refers to the ability of a person to see better, usually up-close, as they age. The reason for this “improved” vision is that the lens power changes due to increasing cataract. So actually second sight is due to the cataract having advanced.

Myth #6: “Too much sex, especially masturbation, can make you go blind.”

No, there is no way that this ridiculous myth can be true. Syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease, if left untreated can lead to blindness, dementia and death. This is where this myth came from.

Myth #7: “Wearing poorly fit glasses damages your eyes.”

In fact what is required for good vision is the right eyeglass prescription. Poor fitting glasses do not damage your eyes.

Myth #8: “Blind people have a sixth sense or extra ordinary talents.”

Most People with (20/20) vision do not pay much attention to their other senses. Blind people have worked hard to develop their other senses to compensate for their vision loss. There is no sixth sense. Just hard work and practice.

Myth #9: “There is no need to have your vision checked before you turn 40.”

Everyone should follow a proper eye health program that includes a regular eye exam, whether or not they’re having any noticeable signs of problems. There are treatable eye diseases; glaucoma is one of them, which can show up before you turn 40.

Myth #10: “Doctors can transplant eyes.”

It is not possible to transplant a whole eye. The eye is connected to the brain by a small nerve called the optic nerve. If this nerve is cut it cannot be reconnected, making it impossible to remove the eye and replace it with another one. When doctors figure out how to transplant the brain, they will be able to transplant the eye.

Myth #11: “Scientists have created a Bionic Eye.”

Researchers have been working on a microchip to replace damaged retina cells in a person’s central vision. Other scientists have been trying to figure out a way to connect a camera directly to the brain. The eye and the brain do not work the same way a camera and computer do. Even after someone figures out how to make a bionic eye, they still have to figure out how to connect it to the neural circuitry of the brain. What they have created so far is a crude form of vision consisting of several dots of light.

Myth #12: “It is not harmful to look at the sun if you squint or use dark glasses.”

The sun’s ultra-violet light will still get to your eyes, damaging the cornea, lens and retina. So looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Never look directly at a solar eclipse. The direct light from the sun can blind a person in less than a minute.

Myth #13: “There is nothing you can do to prevent vision loss”

Regular eye exams and proper safety eyewear can save your sight. Also at the very first signs of vision loss, such as blurred vision or flashes of light, you should see your doctor. If detected early enough, depending on the cause, there are treatments that can correct, stop, or slow down the loss of vision.

Myth #14: “Although eyeglasses makes you see better, they make vision get worse over time.”

Wearing eyeglasses will never make your eyes worse. Before you start wearing glasses, you are accustomed to seeing a blurry world around you. Since this is all you have ever seen, you accept it as normal. When your vision is corrected with eyeglasses you start seeing a clear world. Now when you remove your eyeglasses after wearing them for several months, you are presented with the same blurry world as before. You feel you were able to get around without wearing glasses before but now when you remove glasses you see all blurry and cannot get around. In reality it’s your perception that has changed.

Myth #15: “Eating carrots will improve your vision.”

While it is true that carrots are high in Vitamin A, which is an essential vitamin for sight, only a small amount is necessary for good vision. In fact, eating large amounts of Vitamin A or other vitamins can be very harmful.

Feel smarter? Just remember that you don’t want to be an April fool – or any kind of fool – when it comes to your health.

“A person’s name is to him or her the sweetest...

• viji says:

Another good post and enjoyed it Ririan. Its really hard to believe certain myths too! Viji

• fadzlan says:

Myth #1: “Sitting too close to the TV will damage your vision.”

- Okay, sitting too close to TV will not damage your vision if done for a long period of time isn’t it?? Okay, so the key is not doing it in longer period of time, except for the fact of course, that when we stare at TV, it can kept us there for quite a long time.

Myth #2: “Reading in the dark will weaken your eyesight”

- Reading in the dark can cause eye fatigue, but not weaken your eyesight?? WHAT are you smoking? Eyesight can be weakened by having eye fatigue over a period of time. When reading in dim light becomes a habit, you can bet most people need to start wearing glasses.

Myth #7: “Wearing poorly fit glasses damages your eyes.”

- Right, again, having eye fatigue is okay? People don’t regularly wear glasses for just one minute, they wear it every time. And having eye fatigue all the time does not lead to weakened eyesight doesn’t it? Good luck with that.

• John says:

Great piece but you need to distinguish between taking too much Vitamin A, or others BY TABLET form, from those taken in through eating good, healthy foods. I don’t thikn anyone ever dies from eating too many carrots, or oranges.

Most people need never ever take vitamin supplements if they eat a nutritious diet. Problem with Vit pills is that they are universal – they do not know how much of their content the body needs.

viji, thank you my friend.

fadzlan, when the muscle inside of the eye that controls focusing is overworked, symptoms can occur. In many cases, these symptoms will not start immediately, but only after several hours of work. When the muscle in the eye becomes fatigued, the eyes may feel uncomfortable or ache. The vision may blur off and on. A mild headache can occur if the eyes continue to work. In some cases, the muscle within the eye can become so fatigued that it cannot fully unfocus, leading to blurred distance vision.

But eyestrain will not permanently damage the eyes or cause a loss of vision. However, it can be very uncomfortable and lead to a loss of productivity.

• fadzlan says:

I guess my point slightly differs. I agree overlong fatigue of eyes cannot permanently damage the eyes or cause loss of vision. But, it does lead to *weakened* eyesight, unless the need to wear glasses does not count as weakening of eyesight. I am speaking this from my own experience as well as others that I know.

That being said, anything that cause overlong fatigue to the eyes is NOT GOOD. Eyes are something that you use every waking moment of your life and taking a good care of it does make sense.

Sorry, I have to put the emphasis. Some readers might think its okay to watch TV in 5″ distance just to read the subtitles.

• Pat says:

Great post. The belief about sitting too close to the TV will damage your eyes certainly got most of us. It’s probably because most of the people who uses eye glasses are always sitting close to the TV.

• Pratik says:

I have been a regular visitor to you site and I absolutely love your posts. I liked this one too and although I’d like to take you word for everything you’ve said here, I was wondering if you could provide links/references to the research based on which you have confidently busted these myths.

• Wally says:

I agree with fadzlan. I know someone who got eye glasses at an early age of 10. I gueass there are even younger people. He was always sitting too close to the TV before he got his glasses. I don’t know if there are other factors involved, but I belive it was caused by sitting close to the TV.

• dylan says:

“I don’t know if there are other factors involved, but I belive it was caused by sitting close to the TV.”

Well I’m convinced.

• Matt Grommes says:

Myth #8: “Blind people have a sixth sense or extra ordinary talents.”

No, blind people don’t have Daredevil-like extra perception but they can have more acute senses that sighted people can’t develop. If your brain has never had to make neural connections to process sight, those parts of the brain can be accessed by other senses, typically hearing since it’s the easiest to use as a “substitute” for sight. There have been blind people who have developed a kind of echolocation that a sighted person probably couldn’t develop no matter how hard they work since their brain is already using those parts and pathways for sight.

There’s a news clip on Youtube about a blind kid who plays video games and uses echolocation to identify objects and get around.

• John says:

What about reading in the car? :)

• aehend says:

I had also heard that, as you’ve claimed, doing less near-work such as reading will not help or hurt your eyesight. However… 2 years ago I changed jobs and apartments from ones where I used nearly only near vision (teacher, living in a ground-floor apartment) to ones that use far less near and more far vision (mom/part-time consultant, living in a high-up apartment with an often-enjoyed mountain view). Shortly after the change, my old glasses and contacts became too strong for me. I found my prescription has gone from a -3.75 to a -3 (determined via eye exam, all at the same reputable eye doctor), and is still improving.

There are good writeups on how straining the eyes by too much near work can contribute to myopia at http://hubel.sfasu.edu/courseinfo/SL99/eyefatigue.html and http://www.hpb.gov.sg/hpb/default.asp?pg_id=2955. Removing the eye strain can indeed help vision!

• Victor says:

Thanks for this interesting article! Some of it I knew already, which is why I’ll take most of the rest on faith, but why would you write something like this without any reference to who is your source? I doubt you did the research yourself, and even if you did, you should back up your statements with some research results.

• Rekzai says:

Thanks this cleared a lot of things up for me :).

• Oran says:

I would like to know where all the ‘answers’ are from? Some sunglass protection can protect you from the sun, 100% UV protected glasses for example, Also some exercises can improve vision, varying eye specialists who have no monetary gain from giving advice often tell you to focus your eyes on differing environments and focus areas. Obviously people who work an 8 hour day in front of a computer are not “toning” their eye muscles and will suffer accordingly.

Otherwise a curious article, I’m a cynic though and don’t even believe all i say, but for the matter of argument you should present all sources.

• Mordechai says:

Actually, it’s perfectly safe to look at a total solar eclipse for the duration that the moon is completely blocking the sun and ONLY the corona is visible. It’s the times before and after, while the eclipse is still partial, when it is dangerous. So unless you know for sure that where you are is at 100%, find some other way to observe, but if it is at 100%, enjoy the view of the corona.

• rasmus says:

#8

Sure, there is a sixth sense! It has its domain outside of the boring 4 dimensions that we all usually crap on about, but it’s there my friend, it’s there!!

Rasmus

• David says:

Did I miss the sources here? Are there any?

• carlo says:

Have to disagree with #1 also..

I used to have perfect vision as a child but i used to watch television from around 2 metres from the tv for hours on end … as i go older i continually sat in the same position when watching tv. This was the reason why I wear -5.5 glasses now, very short sighted.

It doesn’t “damage” the eyes, but it will get them adjusted to focusing on a certain distant. I needed glasses since I was about 7, however, was too scared to get them and only got them when I was 13 and struggling to read the black board at school..

Don’t do it kids… :(

• Hugo says:

carrots do help you see in the dark

they contain high amounts of vitamin k which helps your pupils dialate even futher allowing more light into the eye and improving vision in the dark.

• vantriger says:

uhm…. here’s my question: does reading while you are inside a moving car harms your eyesight?

• keith says:

There seems to be a lot of “I used to sit too close to the tv and now I need glasses” or “I know a guy who has to wear glasses and as a kid he watched tv from within sneezing distance” to suggest that #1 is wrong. It seems like pretty weak reasoning to say that because the two things occurred that they are definitely correlated. Even if they are correlated, it seems more likely that it is the other way around, that perhaps the reason those people who would end up needing glasses were sitting so close to the screen BECAUSE they already had weak vision and by getting closer they were able to see more clearly what was going on.

In any case, I don’t really trust this list of ‘facts’ especially without any citation.

• Stallone D says:

It’s true, i don’t believe there is a source, I myself am visually impaired and can infect tell you that having a loss in vision has definitely heightened my sense of hearing and touch. I’ve never seen such a useless article before, actually, by causing fatigue or eyestrain, even daily stress DOES EFFECT your eyesight! If we can get someone with some knowledge on this topic to comment that would be wonderful. There is not difference between causing fatigue on your eyes and having a loss in vision. Their one and the same.

• skoebl says:

The vitamin A in carrots (beta-carotene) is the only form of vitamin A you can’t overdose on. You can eat carrots until your skin turns orange and never put your health in any danger.

• Bob Pence says:

Please clarify for the “transplant” entry (Myth 10) that cornea transplants are and have been possible for a long time, and benefit many people. Yesterday I attended a memorial service for a friend who had made many arrangements, knowing that she couldn’t beat her cancer forever. While many of her organs were affected, she had been very pleased that she’d be able to posthumously donate “her eyes” to help someone who needed them. Yes, it is inexact phrasing, but cornea transplants fulfill a range of needs and are something we should recognize and appreciate.

• comnut says:

the trouble with ‘eating too much’ is that idiots try eating 1000 time the dose….
    you CAN die from ‘too much water’ – the real reason is ‘body salt’ is then diluted to a dangerous level.. that would be the real cause…

You have to remember that the body will ‘adjust’ itself to any long-term situation… Astronauts start losing the ‘strength’ in their bones(calcium), due to the lack of ‘impacts’ due to gravity…

If you are only using your eyes for ‘close work’ they will ‘get used’ to it.. make sure you look away at a far object every hour or so… Standard RSI practice…

• Keith says:

Myth #14 is not entirely false. For a long time doctors would prescribe a correction that “over-compensated” for near-sightedness, under the false assumption that this would cause the elongated eyeball to shrink as it tried to readjust to the over-corrected focal point. They have since found out that the default behaviour of the eyeball when dealing with imperfect vision is just to elongate even more, so this incorrect prescription would, in fact, make the myopia progress.

• Myth #14 is actually true.

Any of us who wears glasses knows that prior to getting blurry vision, we had clear vision.

Strain and tension in the muscles surrounding the eye squeezes the eyeball into a distorted shape – in the case of short sight, making the eyeball longer than normal.

With that in mind, visit: http://ebiomedia.com/gall/eyes/Images.html for an explanation of how images are created. You can imagine what happens when an eyeball is too long. Opticians accept that short-sight is caused by eyeballs being too long BUT they don’t explain that it’s the muscle tension which has created that eyeball’s length.

Glasses increase vision deterioration because they compensate for the muscle strain, but do not remove the strain. In effect, they are locking that strain into place. Again, most of us who wear glasses know that our eyes have got worse the longer we continue to put glasses on our nose.

I used to wear glasses with -10 of myopia & astigmatism. Since becoming aware of natural vision improvements and practising what I’ve learnt, I now go about most of my daily life with my natural eyesight – i.e. no glasses! I’ve shocked my friends and family members by reading number plates 20 metres away.

There is plenty of information out there about how we can improve our eyesight. I urge you to check out the Bates method, Janet Goodrich’s Natural Vision Improvement and Lisette Scholl’s Visionetics.

Wishing us all a return to our natural vision
    Corrina Gordon

• Ajay says:

Watching TV very close: In old times, TV used to acts more like 100W to 150W light bulb. Now imagine, watching light bulb of this high intensity at close distance. It will give pain to your eyes. That is a only reason, people used to say, Watch from Far. Present TV consumes & emits very low luminosity. So, now, watch TV from far has become a myth. Ajay. Texas. US.

• Rae says:

Amazing it took until the 27th commentator, Keith, to state the obvious. Those most likely to sit too close to the TV are those who’s vision is already compromised. Other comments suggest that one somehow should have no need for glasses at a young age. So untrue! My father was an optometrist in the southwestern portion of the US for 40 years. At one point, he was considered the most knowledgeable and the optometrist of choice for pre-school and elementary school children. Children don’t recognize less than perfect vision for what it is and don’t give off obvious signs as a blind child would. Yet, even children as young as infants sometimes require corrective lenses. (By infants, I mean older than 9 months, as babies have certain deficiencies that correct with age, like the ability to distinguish color)

• Brandon Abell says:

Eye strain *absolutely* causes poorer vision. Looking at things up close for too long *absolutely* makes it harder for you to see farther away. These are not myths. There is a reason why people get bifocals and trifocals. . . An eyeglasses prescription written for somebody to see well for driving will not suit them well for seeing in an office setting. They will get headaches. When I was wearing glasses I had two sets — one for driving and one for everything else which had slightly less correction. This helped me out a great deal.

No, eyestrain will not make you go blind, but it will definitely reduce the ability of your eyes to function as they are designed. This should be common sense. . .

• Matt says:

In Myth #14 you say, “Wearing eyeglasses will never make your eyes worse.”

This is not true.

I am moderately short-sighted and therefore wear glasses designed for activities such as driving or playing sports where I need to see clearly in the distance. My optomestrist has told me that I shouldn’t wear my glasses when doing short work (such as reading or using the computer). She says wearing glasses consistently in those conditions would actually worsen my eyesight over time.

Therefore, your statement should be: “Wearing eyeglasses in the way you’re instructed to wear them will never make your eyes worse.”

• It’s jsut strange how the eyes work and how you can fool them with just simple tricks

• Denis Howe says:

My dad reckoned that the myth about carrots helping night vision was created during WWII to cover up the fact that Britain had radar. Sounds like b******s to me though.

• Gimpy says:

Umm.. did anyone ever perhaps wonder if the reason people who later wound up with glasses were sitting to close to the TV had nothing to do with the TV making their eyesight worse, but that they were sitting close to the TV BECAUSE they had bad eyesight to begin with and simply didn’t have corrective lenses yet?

• Steve says:

The myth about losing your eyesite from sitting too close to the TV is partially true. This comes from the early days of TV when the CRT’s would generate far more extraneous radiation than they do today. One could literally damage their eyes by sitting too close to the television. Since then, technology has improved significantly and this is no longer the case.

• Jonah Dempcy says:

I have a problem with the statement that NO eye exercises will help increase eye health. Granted, many so-called “eye exercises” may have no use, but there are some eye exercises that are worthwhile. To write them all off seems irresponsible to me.

• Reg says:

The gist of this list seems okay, but followers of the Bates Method and the more modern forms of vision improvement would probably take issue with a number of points, particularly #14.

Recommended reading:
    ‘Improve Your Vision Without Glasses or Contact Lenses’ by Dr S Beresford et al.

Amazon has the “search inside” feature, which lets you get the introduction:

• Dave says:

“The direct light from the sun can blind a person in less a minute. ”

Please proofread before posting on the tubes – you are propagating bad Engrish.

At least you didn’t say “loose” when you meant “lose”.

• Lisa says:

I partially disagree with your post and agree with Oran. My grandmother’s eyesight is proof that exercises can improve your vision. Her doctors agree. Rolling or blinking sure won’t do anything, but going through a specific routine involving different focal points and whatever else she was instructed to do, every day for many years, did greatly improve her nearsightedness, or at least her eye muscles’ ability to compensate for it.

• Victor says:

To all those providing anecdotes as evidence: Please read up on how science works – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_evidence

• KJG says:

Keith (#27),

I was told the same thing by my optometrist years ago. I had a slight distance-vision problem. I only needed glasses for driving and watching movies…things like that. I only wore them in those instances. My distance vision worsened slightly over the years, but I still have a minor problem compared to many who need to wear glasses.

My current optometrist tells me that I likely saved my eyesight from getting much worse by NOT wearing my glasses all the time and by NOT using them for up-close work, like sitting in front of the computer.

Where did this guy get his facts from?

Also, there are studies now that suggest reading in poor light conditions for long periods of time definitely can cause vision problems. My sister was an obsessive reader and would read for long periods of time under the covers with a flashlight. I definitely think this caused her to end up with horrible vision at a young age…without contacts or glasses she must sit about 2 feet away from a TV to see anything clearly. No one else in my family has vision this terrible.

• pablo says:

1,2,3, and 7 are wrongly busted myths. 1-3 are basically the same basis if you continually abuse your eyes they adapt to the way they are used. After time and age the ability to adapt decreases. Exercises for eyes are much like exercises for the rest of the body in training your eyes to make adaptations the more practice the better the eyes perform at the task. 7 is true, especially in stronger prescriptions, because the focal point of the lens is not going to be in the correct location. Lens do not have a uniform correction factor across the entire surface, particularly in the stronger scripts, thus poorly fitting glasses can effectively make it like you have an incorrect prescription.

• sean says:

Myth #11: “Scientists have created a Bionic Eye.”

This is actually incorrect, Scientists have been hard at work refining the bionic eye… this is outdated information. Don’t believe everything you read on the web, especially on a page thats as poorly designed as this one.

Provided they are making advaces… the ‘crude form’ you talk about will be accelerating in the coming future.

• Great article — thanks for putting this together. Who goes around saying that doctors can transplant eyes? ;-)

• Jason says:

Comment 36 by Steve is 100% true. CRTs shoot beams on electrons at the screen, and being in that pathway will cause harm to your eyes.

• Mythbuster says:

Maybe you should have cleared up about “eye transplants” from donor eyes to other people’s eyes. Mostly about how the cornea is removed from the donor’s eye and transplanted to the recipiant’s eye?

• Myth number 4 is kind of off as lightbulbs don’t really wear out not in the traditional sense. Eventually the filament may snap due to repeated heating and cooling but a lightbulb could easily last more than 100 years they just aren’t made well enough too. there’s no incentive for companies to make them that well.

• Shiran says:

Myth #15: “Eating carrots will improve your vision.”

this is true, as the vitamin A is converted to retinene which is jonied with a protein opsin to form rhodopsin. Rhodopsin is the pigment found in rods of the eye which are used for night vision. since these pigments are easilly broken down by light, it is good to have a supply of retinene for the Rod cells to reconvert back into rhodopsin. the more you have of thse in the eye the more you are able to see at night, as more light is able to be recieved, by the rod cells, because it is the pigments which ‘transmit’ the light information to the brain.

Carrots do contain vitamin A but not in super larger doses. High amounts have been found in liver and it is poisonous, and apparantly some arctic explorers have died from eating too many polar bear livers!

Moral of the story: Carrots good! liver bad! :)

• Mhmm says:

The myth about sitting too close to the TV is just that, a myth. All of you who said that you disagree because you used to watch TV from a short distance then had to get glasses are a little confused. Correlation does not imply causation. The truth is that you had deteriorating eyesight before you started watching TV at a short distance, which is why you sat close to the TV… so you could see it clearly.

• Oskar says:

Myth No. 6 is partially true, you can go temporarily blind if your orgasm is so intense that you burst a blood vessel. This can also happen to body builders when they are pumping iron.

• Anonymous says:

Myth 1: Dude, I, like, get headaches if I sit too close to the TV. I think it has to do with the screen, if you look real close, you see hot pink and blue and crap. The TV screen is way different than looking at real life. Go outside, you feel better peoples.

You there! (Mhmm) You where you think people sit close to the TV so they can see clearly.
    NOT TRUE> People sit up close cause they like a big screen, if you sit in the back you see a small TV screen to stare mindlessly at. And it’s a force of habit. Why don’t you try watching TV up close, see what happens!

• eyedoc says:

These 15 myths are absolutely correct. Each one has been supported by medical research. The responses given where people mention a family member or friend who had this condition occur or that are baseless. You need something called a CONTROL to validate those assumptions.

There will always be a single patient here or there that goes against what we believe is true. . . but they are anomalies and their results cannot be generalized to the standard population.

• #3 ““Some eye exercises can improve your vision” is totally false. If you are going to make statements of a medical nature, it is inappropriate to fail to include citations. There are activities that can improve visual skill for any person. Go to http://www.covd.org/ to learn more.

Even if you are solely referring to visual acuity, the statement is still false. A small group of people can improve their vision, if they have “pseudo-myopia” or temporary myopia that is caused by near vision strain. This can be improved with glasses, but can only be truly resolved with vision therapy.

In the future, please check your facts before you perpetuate more myths. Either than or stick to something that you are knowledgeable about.

• wasif waquar says:

i dont from many i m experiencing tat i m lossing my eye vision very rapidly wat should i have to do tats the main thig tat came to my mind but after reading this i think i must go 4 a eye operation

• Lee says:

Myth 8 isn’t quite right. It’s fairly common for blind people to dedicate their visual cortex (the part of the brain that is used to process visual information) to other senses. It is sometimes active while reading braille, or while using other senses. While I don’t know of sixth senses, there is neurological evidence for changes in other senses.

• Andrei says:

Myth 16: You cannot correct vision with eye exercises. – You CAN, and millions of people around the world, at different points in it’s (the worlds) history, have done it, including myself.

And THAT’S enough proof for me!

• Anonymous says:

This is embarassing… How is this even a top post when there are so many fallacies?

• Calli says:

Thanks so much! I’m 12 and I’m highly short-sighted, my prescription is -5.25 in one eye and the other is a bit better but still a little on the higher side for my age.
    Anyways, I love reading and my parents keep on saying how this is making my eyesight deteriorate and all that stuff. Even though I read on for no more than an hour at a time and take breaks in between, hopefully when I show them this they’ll see.
    I probably just inherited short-sightedness from my mum who is also very short sighted (and she doesn’t read at all, lol).

Best wishes.

• The problem of poor eyesight has become very prevalent in the world today. Many people are seed putting on glasses to when walking, when reading and when carrying on with their day to day activities. However there is a natural remedy that can help treat your poor eye sight and this is acupuncture. Acupuncture has a history of over 5000 years of use in china to improve human health and it has proven to be able to treat many ailments. Acupuncture for glaucoma works on the theory that there is a natural life energy known as Qi which flows continuously in channels known as meridians.
    So, what are you waiting for, try acupuncture for your vision problems and you will end up throwing your glasses to the dust bin smiling.