8 Powerful Ways to Rediscover Your Passion

“Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark.”

- Amiel, Journal, 17 December 1856

Passionate womanNote: This guest post was written by freelance writer and entrepreneur Kim McGinnis. You can check out her website here.

You were born with a passion to do something unique with your life. As a divine being it was given you from the infinite supply of the universe. As an unborn child in your mother’s womb, you had it swirling all around you, and it lived and breathed inside of you, even before your little lungs developed.

It survives by simply being — no thinking required. Passion is a gift from the Universe. It’s in you, even though you may have forgotten what it is and how to access it. The key to uncovering your passion is a process. Take a look at this step-by-step process and then actually practice the steps. Before you know it will be living with passion rather than just dreaming about it.

1. Spend more time alone.

When you surround yourself with lots of people, or even one very strong individual, it is difficult to know what excites you. It is easy to become influenced if outside energies are stronger than yours.

Consider this a time for self-care. Be easy and respectful of yourself. If you choose to hang out at home create a space that is uncluttered and peaceful. If you go outside, make sure it’s an area that you will not be disturbed.

2. Heighten your awareness.

No matter where you choose, look around and learn to really appreciate your surroundings. This is a space you selected, so be aware of all the details that made it your place of choice. Use your senses to take in the beauty, scents, textures, and sounds.

Expect your experiences to be subtle. When you catch the scent of the candle by your bedside, this may invoke a distinct taste in your mouth. Your sixth sense (instinct) will also play an important role. Use it to make your space more appealing with time. Refine your sacred space so that it brings out the best in you.

3. Reflect.

Once you are comfortable in your space, close your eyes. Put your focus on the fact that you are pure energy and, because of that, you are a vibrational being. Let this really sink in.

Allow this reality to make you smile and feel delighted. You are not your body, your mind or your beliefs. The thing that is really you is eternal, creative energy. Everything else is a temporary body with an ego attached.

4. Write down your revelations.

Once you are able to wrap yourself around the idea of who you are at the core, write these thoughts down. Explore how this makes you feel. If you really “get it” you will be feeling very powerful.

This is a power supported by the universe, not one created from your ego. That means whatever you choose to do you will have the support of the infinite energy of the Universe. Knowing this you will be less likely to hold back about what would make you truly happy.

Write down your passions, no holds barred. You do not want to leave this planet with regrets. You were given life here on earth to express yourself in your own unique way. Everything surrounding you wants you to succeed!

Dig deep and write about what you would love to do. Do your best not to allow worries to crop in. The only stipulation is that your intention is pure. If you have read this far with an open mind, you already have a clear intention.

5. Experiment with your choices.

Okay, it’s time to get out there and have some fun in the real material world. Take a pottery class, attend a lecture on photography, join a writer’s group, go deep-sea fishing, etc, etc. The world is your oyster.

By now your instinct should be gearing up (if you’ve been practicing the previous steps) to provide you with indispensable guidance. Pretend that divine energy (God, Spirit, Our Inner Source) is in the driver’s seat. Your backseat driver days are over. If you used to be frightened about how you were getting to a certain location before — now, you simply trust that you will be led in the right direction.

If you take a wrong turn (or pick a class you decide you do not like), simply take another road (another class) next time. There are no mistakes-only adventures and experiences. Have fun on this ride.

6. Bring clarity to your passion.

The universe likes specifics. If you are clear in what you want, these things will more likely show up for you. Many people find themselves stuck here. You may find that you have many interests, but you are not sure if there is one thing you wholeheartedly want to pursue.

Know that this is a process, and when the time is right you will know for sure what it is you need to do. Signs will begin to present themselves. At first they will be subtle, and later, crystal. As long as you are consistent in your alone time, honest reflection, and writing your answers will be revealed to you.

7. Affirm.

Once you have the passion you wish (and need) to pursue, put it in affirmation form. Try this on for size…

“I am a talented painter, and my work is sought after from people from all walks of life.”

Write your affirmations down, say them out loud, record them, and listen to them when you are working out or driving. Make them personal and specific. When you practice them (writing or speaking), notice the feelings that come up for you.

These feelings are extremely important. Consider this quote by motivational author, Earl Nightingale:

“The more intensely we feel about an idea or a goal, the more assuredly the idea, buried deep in our subconscious, will direct us along the path to its fulfillment.”

This is pure positive energy that is going to ultimately attract what you want. Yes, the law of attraction really does work. So, carry your positive thoughts and feelings close by, they will serve you well.

8. Get your feet wet.

Act. Take a risk. This is usually another stumbling block for a lot of folks. But without this step, your passion will remain an unrealized dream.

If you have come this far, do not allow yourself to stop now. An intelligent risk when the timing is right, can take your life from mundane to awesome.

When you apply the above steps with sincerity and commitment you will have such a show of support that taking action to live your passion should seem like a natural progression. Influential people and situations will show up, you will get a brilliant idea in the shower, or you will run into an old friend that you haven’t seen in nearly decade.

This step is pivotal, and it uses all the wisdom you have accessed thus far.

Here is a brief review of all the steps broken down in a concise way to help you on your journey:

1. Get to know yourself.
  2. Be one with your positive feelings
  3. Be aware of what is showing up for you.
  4. Acknowledge these as gifts.
  5. Express gratitude.
  6. Replace fear with faith.
  7. Listen to your intuition.
  8. Free yourself of expectations and surrender to your divine guidance.
  9. Take action using your unleashed passion while continuing to dream.
The hardest part of any journey is getting started and the truth is you will start when you are ready. This is the only way you will uncover your passion and live your life fully. So when you feel your foundation is strong enough and your footing is sure — go for it! Just don’t look back. This quote from an unknown source sums it up nicely:

“Dreams are like stars… you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny.”

About Kim McGinnis:

Kim is a freelance writer and entrepreneur. Visit her at Our Inner Source and find out practical ways to gain access to your inner power, and be a positive force in the world.

“A person’s name is to him or her the sweetest...

• etavitom says:

wow. thanks for the amazing post!!!

• tracy ho says:

Thanks for your passion thought,
    Love it,
    To your success,
    Tracy ho

• Donna says:

What a wonderfully inspiring article! Thank you.

• Kim says:

Thank you for the kind comments on my post. Here’s to Passion!!
    Please come visit me on my blog at

• I agree with the need for reflection time. My last post at Cheerful Monk was Are you Spending Enough Time “Doing Nothing”. Our work-faster, do-more society pressures us to think otherwise, so we need to keep writing about this. Thanks. :)

• Kim McGinnis says:

Thank you Jean, I appreciate the comment. I checked out your post and I liked it very very much, gave it the thumbs up. It seems as if we are in agreement on the whole reflection thing. When you have time please check out my blog:

• Keilbach says:

A very helpful article. Thank you very much. I like surfing in this blog cause of these intersting discussions.

• DermDoc says:

I have been reading Ririan Project for sometime and, as a result of posts like this, have been inspired to start blogging myself. Thank you for this pithy yet thoughtful blog; you set the standard for so many of us.

Sincerely,
    Jeff

• Nice… probably these are things we already know but don’t realize.

• Spending time alone is the best, and probably why it’s #1. When you’re alone all the BS that the world and other people puts on you begins to unravel, and what is left is the real you. Good stuff, I love it! :D

Cheers,
    Albert | UrbanMonk.Net
    Modern personal development, entwined with ancient spirituality.

• Bohol says:

Our soul travels more smoothly when we are alone.

• kim mcginnis says:

Good point. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of things we already know. It’s great to be inherently wise, but unless we have something that pushes us to take action, we just remain “knowing” and not “being”.

• Brian says:

Happy holidays to all. I hope you’re all having a good one. I’m looking forward to the next update!

• Number one is probably the most basic and the most important step of all. Sometimes, we don’t really notice that we rarely get to spend any time alone with ourselves. We think that Person A’s ideas are exciting and that they constitute as our passion as well. But that can be either true or false.

• Good thoughts Kim. We must also recognize the affect of the environment we work in on our passion. Consider this: the coming labor shortage and ongoing globalization of markets make it inevitable that the next step in the evolution of organizations will be the creation of “Connection Cultures.” A Connection Culture exists when people feel an emotional connection to their work(because it fits their talents and values), to their colleagues (who feel like trusted friends more than internal competitors) and to their organization’s mission, values and/or reputation (because it reflects goodness in some way). We all long for this.

Today, organizations idolize task excellence but fail to value relationship excellence that comes from human connection. Task excellence is important too but not at the expense of relationship excellence. In fact, absent relationship excellence, task excellence is unsustainable and managerial failure is inevitable. History shows this pattern repeating again and again…in businesses, sports teams, and nations. My co-authors and I make the case that all great leaders create Connection Cultures in our new book entitled “Fired Up or Burned Out (Thomas Nelson, 2007).” I also confess that I am an “achievaholic” in an essay I wrote entitled “Alone No Longer” that was just published by Amazon.com as part of its new Amazon Shorts series.

• Kim B says:

Kim,

Great article. I think most people struggle with finding passion (and/or keeping their passion), because I believe it’s tied to our purpose. When we find what we are meant to do in life it usually touches deep down into our heart. We feel alive and propelled to continue. For me, quiet time is everything. Many times we get so busy in life, we don’t take time to just be – to get to know ourselves.

Kim B.

• Ann Teliczan says:

I have used these techniques to fulfill my dream of becoming an artist and I can tell you, they do work. After I created work for my website http://www.Anntopia.com I was selected to have my creative work installed at several major corporations. But I was really, really stuck in 2007 trying to expand my creative vision until I once again tried these principles and my resulting 2008 gallery is what I would consider my best work yet.

It’s really easy to forget about this when things are going well… I’m going to print this post and put it over my desk!

• Everyone should take the time to reflect and soak in their life. We are such lucky creatures with computers, friends, sex, the ability to laugh, sweat, eat chocolate, buy gadgets and chop wood.

Passion is in all of us if we take the time to find out what makes us tick.

• Excellent post – I love the pieces you publish on the site. With this one I particularly like #7 about the affirmations. It’s a wonderful thing when the subconscious and the conscious minds align – goals seem to suddenly fall into place as effortlessly as water trickling down a stream.

Keep up the great writing, I will continue to check back monthly for more,

Jason
    Intelligent Warrior Subconscious Training

• Eric Monse says:

Solid post. Thanks. – Eric Monse

• Gordon says:

Thanks for this passion test.

As Radu says, many of these things we know already but we seldom do it or bring it to the fore.

We need to reignite our passion for our core desires and make it real.

Thanks for the reminders.

Gordon

• TRavis S says:

This is a great blog. Very well-done. Jock.

• dawn says:

Great article. It struck a responsive chord within in. Dawn

• sohbet says:

I like very much the writings and pictures and explanations in your adress so I look forward to see your next writings. I congratulate you.

• sohbet says:

The information that was given here by Marshall was excellent. Hat’s Off to Wayne Marshall. I breathe a lot easier with grub now. Happy Grubbing …..