Top 10 Ways to Build Muscle Mass Fast

“Success isn’t a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.”

- Arnold H. Glasow

Top 10 Ways to Build Muscle Mass Fast

Want to look better and burn more calories even when resting?

You will if you add some muscle to your frame.

Whether you want to be the next Ronnie Coleman or just want a more defined / toned physique like Brad Pitt or Jennifer Aniston, you’ll need to build some muscle mass.

So here’s 10 tips to help you build pounds of lean muscle and get the body of your dreams.
1. Pursue Progressive Overload.

The law of progressive overload simply says that you must increase the amount of reps or the weight lifted every single workout (or as close to this as humanly possible) in order to ignite muscle growth.

The body adapts to stimuli, so how do we use this to our advantage? Well the key is to place ever increasing demand on the body, thereby forcing it to continually adapt. Training with weights is undoubtedly the best way to achieve this. You can know precisely how much weight you can handle and can also make incremental increases over time to spark muscle growth.

If you workout with the exact same weight every session and perform the same number of repetitions, how can you expect your body to grow? So, if you want bigger biceps, you must increase the weight you are lifting every session or the amount of repetitions. Remember:

Progressive Overload = Muscle Growth.

2. Perform 8-12 reps.

8-12 reps on any given exercise will stimulate most muscle growth. Lower rep ranges of say 3-6 work well for building strength but not necessarily muscle hypertrophy (growth). Higher reps e.g. 15 – 20 can indeed stimulate muscle growth but it is far from optimal. You should be lifting a weight so heavy that you can’t get more than 12 reps but light enough to allow you to get at least 8 reps.

3. Perform 6-9 sets.

Yes just 6-9 sets per body part. If you are working out with good form this is all you need to stimulate muscle growth. You want to keep your workouts under 45 minutes to avoid the release of hormones that actually break your muscle tissue down (catabolic hormones). Luckily, you can easily accomplish this by performing a maximum of 9 sets per body part.

4. Eat Eat Eat.

Working a muscle tears the tissue, it then repairs and grows. Muscles need fed in order to allow them to grow. Basically you need to eat big to get big. A good bodybuilding diet will allow you to grow without adding fat at the same time.

5. Increase the Amount of Protein in your Diet.

Muscle = protein. In order for muscle tissue to repair itself after your weight-training sessions it needs an abundance of protein. Some beginners don’t take enough protein and some more experienced guys take ridiculously extreme amounts of protein. So how much protein is enough to supply those hungry muscles? Use the following formula for the most accurate daily protein requirements.

Lean Mass Weight (Kg) x 2.75 = Daily Protein Requirement

Your lean weight is your total body weight minus the amount of fat you are carrying. You will need to know your body fat percentage for this. If you are unsure about this, you can get a good estimate by using the ‘Body Fat Calculator’ in the sidebar at MuscleHack.com site. Another good rule of thumb is to take 1 gram of protein for every pound of total body weight. So a 160 lb man would take around 160 grams of protein per day. My favorite sources of protein include

* Chicken
* Steak
* Pork
* Eggs
* Cheese
* Whey Protein Powder Shakes
* Seafood – tuna, prawns, salmon…
* Nuts
* Seeds

Here’s a good post showing great vegetarian sources of protein.

6. Eat Fat.

A Low-Fat diet is not desirable in bodybuilding. Eating fat increases the amount of anabolic (muscle building) hormones in your body. These are:

1. Testosterone
2. Growth Hormone
3. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1)

Some people resort to taking anabolic steroids in order to accelerate muscle growth but you can get great results by implementing the ultimate bodybuilding diet.

7. Make Sure you Drink Enough Water.

Getting enough water is crucial for peak strength and energy levels. You should shoot for around 12 x 8 ounce glasses of water per day. Remember you can include your protein shakes towards your daily water intake.

8. Avoid Too Much Cardio.

Cardiovascular work will rob you of muscle gains. Yes if your goal is to lose fat you should do cardio but make sure it is:

(a) Performed immediately after your weight training

(b) ‘High Intensity Interval Training’ form of cardio for a maximum of 20 minutes.

The reason that too much cardio isn’t desirable when your goal is to build muscle is that too much cardio releases catabolic hormones in the body, breaking down your muscle tissue; obviously this is counter-productive.

9. Sleep.

Sleep is so important for building muscle. We know that muscle tissue repairs itself and grows during rest periods but sleep is more important than waking rest periods.

Here’s why:

1. The release of growth hormone reaches its peak during deep sleep
2. Your metabolic rate slows which is perfect for muscle tissue repair and growth
3. Increased blood flow to the muscles

10. Relax.

Being stressed out results in a catabolic (muscle breakdown) environment in the body. One such hormone is cortisol. Remember that a calm, relaxed person builds more muscle than the hot-head ;) (assuming all other factors are equal).

Keep it positive and stay motivated!

About Mark McManus:
Mark runs MuscleHack.com where you can discover the real science on how to build muscle and lose fat with his powerful THT weight training program and free bodybuilding diet.

• John says:

This guide is really useful for someone like me but unfourtunately the problem I have is sticking to the regulations outlined. I am sure it would work but it is having the dedication and commitment to following the training through.

Regards. John.

• John says:

Good post.

The only problem is ensuring that you can actually stick to the recommendations. There are many good articles like this one out there but it is having the commitment to see things through.

If you have good willpower and a steady determination then this type of regime is idea in helping build body mass.

Regards. John.

• Glad to have you back. I enjoyed the article because I wish that there was a blog that talked about this when I was trying to bulk up. I made a lot of mistakes and I should have done more research. Arnold always said that you have to push past the first feeling of stopping, pushing through and really working that muscle to get real growth.

• Alexander says:

The post is very informative and I appreciate the information that Mark has provided, but I think that protein is highly overrated.
    I personally am a vegetarian who eats mainly vegetables and fruits and I have a decent amount of lean muscle mass.

That being said, I think that we need to start paying attention to the sources of our food, rather than just the food itself.
    The way our food is grown or raised has a lot to do with its nutritional benefit, if any.

In other words, there are healthy and unhealthy versions of the same type of food. For example, lean chicken can be either extremely healthy or extremely toxic; it all depends on the environment in which the chicken was raised and the diet that it was fed.

I am not trying to downgrade what Mark has said in his post. Rather, I am just trying to add a little extra something to take into consideration.

Thanks for the great post :)

• Brian says:

Is this not a big step for a beginner.

• Poo says:

only joking, but mate you can do it. its hard I know but if you’ve got the dedication and the determination you’ve got it in the bag.

• Stephen says:

More weight vs speed?
    One thing #1 doesn’t mention is speed.

Just a few minutes ago I finished a workout. I’ve gotten into the habit of just lifting the weight and straight back down and was intending to hold at the same weight for a few workouts forcing myself to slow down the movement – which I don’t think I could do with more weight

So what’s better – adding more weight on the next workout or slowing the movement?

• Tyson says:

I was given this advice from a very large mate of mine: “When you are lifting weights, make the contracting motion pwerful and fast, and the retracting motion slow and steady.”
      He explained that this is because the micro tears in the muscle only occur when the muscle is retracting. And there are also things called quick-twitch-fibres that are built up when that muscle is being used rapidly.
      Eg. If you were benching, you would powerfully shove the weight upwards then slowly and steadily bring the bar back to your chest.
      Hope I helped!
      Tyson.

• Brian says:

This is pretty good, although I have a minor problem with the section on cardio. For an ectomorph, this is pretty sound advice, as you run the very real risk of robbing yourself of muscle gains.

For an endomorph like me, however, a lot of cardio is unfortunately necessary. :(

• Michael says:

I like your article, but I see a couple of ways that we can force our body to constantly adapt, that you missed.
    Our body is great at finding ways to adapt to the stresses that we put it through. It will even adapt to the number of reps that we do. I’ve heard that we should change the number of reps for the exercises that we do every two weeks or so. If we do 9 reps for two weeks, then our body just begins to get used to this number of reps. On the third week, if we change the reps to say 12, then our body will start to get used to this number, until we change it again.
    Another way to keep the body guessing, is to change the amount of time you spend resting in between reps. If we change the amount of time we spend in between reps on every second and fourth week, along with the change of reps, this will help keep the body from adapting.

• aber323 says:

This are very good specs, this will not work if you’re not consistent!

• These tips are quite helpful and practical too. I’ve put in a lot of weight since the last year or two and now I’m thinking of putting on some muscle weight too and building my muscles. Thanks for the tips. Have a Good day.

• Nice ideas but I think that decreasing the fat % is important to mention.
    Also will power and sticking to the plan is key.

Good luck to all !!!

• Vladikkk says:

Thank you so much for the great article, and especially for the link to vegetarian sources of protein.

• Nelson says:

on step 1 – you can also decrease the time it takes over a period to stimulate muscle growth… using the same weight, reps and sets. Example – you complete your push ups in less time today vs yesterday. That will also trigger growth.

• rfjason says:

This article is pretty retarded. It does nothing to introduce the non-workout person into the workout person’s world. WTF is a rep, a set, a training, etc?

Also, I’m not sure the medical advice in this article is particularly sound or safe. Looking at the water requirements, the author says 12 x 8 ounce glasses, thus implying that you should drink a dozen glasses of water per day??? Poppycock! The body doesn’t require 96 ounces of water per day. You could argue 64. Even then, the majority of that water is embedded in the foods we eat. We actually only need 1 or 2 full glasses of water per day. Maybe 3 when you do the strenuous workout. Any more than that, and you risk flushing your body of essential vitamins and minerals. Consuming a dozen glasses of water risks water intoxication.

In general, I think this article is sloppy and irresponsible. The blog maintainer would be wise to replace it with a general notice advising readers to disregard the author’s decidedly amateur advice.

• ted says:

You shouldn’t be so sensitive if you are working out or thinking about it you will know what a rep is and also for someone that isn’t active enough to produce sweat two glasses might be good bu t when getting a strong high rep cardio and weight training session you sweat and can obtain heat stroke or dehydration. So 96 Oz. Of water is safe if you are going to work out intensively.

• Jeffery Davis says:

Dude ur an idiot
      I drink a gallon of water a day and I bench 435 and I feel great so the more water the better

• Max says:

If I only drank 1 to 2 glasses of water a day i would have yellow urine. Dehydration. Its better to drink a little more than not enough. It takes 2 seconds to google words.. not to hard bro.

• Ollie Lind says:

I am most impressed with both the content and logic of your site. Of particular interest to me was the area on weight loss. Lots of good sense. The mechanics outlined are sensational.

What has interested me for a long time is the fact that losing weight is no longer a mystery and yet the ‘weight loss industry’ is a billion dollar industry. Yet the process appears to be simplicity itself. Either consume less than you burn or burn more than you consume. Yet the majority of people fail in the long run and end up heavier than before.

There has to be another factor or factors. I have researched this and I believe I am on the track of the answer. In the next few months I will know positively.

Meanwhile, I applaud what you have done.

Regards,

Ollie Lind

• Greg says:

Truly faulty assumptions on many counts. Not sure why the “Protein=Muscle Growth” myth keeps getting passed around. Aside from Olympic lifters, increasing protein beyond a standard US diet will have no impact on muscle growth.
    Gorrillas, Elephants, buffalo, etc are vegatarians (for the most part) but are quite capable of developing significantly more muscle mass that the average human.

• Jeremy says:

Greg,
      I’ve heard this argument recently and did a little research to debunk it. Gorillas, elephants, buffalo and the one i think you skipped over being a horse vary from humans by the way we digest our food. Those herbivores make their own proteins out of the digested vegetation, through a more complex G.I. track. Although i do agree that not as much protein needs to be consumed as outlined earlier, a vegetarian body builder is cockamamie. Poor John lol
      Jeremy

• John says:

Good point Greg,

I am also a vegeterian. There is a huge drive in gyms and work out magazines etc to include meat as part of a balanced workout regime.

I still think the above information is very valuable but you really need to be able to apply it and I am not sure the post in istelf is motivating enough to do that.

Regards. John.

• Tip # 6 is often overlooked by most people because they don’t realize that fat is a major building block of testosterone

• Michael says:

Great list,

The only thing I might do differently is the 8-12 rep range recommendation. True, this is the hypertrophy sweet spot, but most guys looking for muscle mass tend to workout in this range only. Working in your traditional strength rep range will actually stimulate a lot of muscle growth because these fibers don’t get any work usually. They are also mostly the high threshold motor units that get recruited at lower reps, which have the most potential for growth.

Also, if you work on strength for a cycle or 2, when you return to your hypertrophy range you will be able to lift more weight in your 8-12 rep range… = more volume = more muscle.

Not to take away from the post, you make some excellent points.

• chris says:

step two is backwards. To gain mass you should do lower rep with higher weight to gain mass. Once you pass 12 you get into cardio range. You need the heaviest weight you can handle to add mass.

• Tees says:

im 23 yrs old and im just 52 kg.. Can you suggest a food time table??

• Michael says:

I happen to think that it was a pretty good article; if rfjason does not know what a set or a rep is then he has no leg to stand on by critising this article.

wrt to protein = muscle debate, people need to realise that there is a difference between adequate and optimal amounts of protein. Sure, you CAN build muscle without bumping up your protein levels too high, but if you want optimal progress you will get there quicker by upping your protein consumption. The protein naysayers are quiet correct in that you don’t NEED that much protein, but there are countless studies to prove that strength athletes will make faster progress on higher protein diets.

The only thing that I would disagree with is the 8-12 rep range. I know, this is the optimal hypertophy range, but 99% of gym-goers already work out in this range all the time. Most people would do quit well doing a strength cycle for 4-6 weeks and workout in the 3-6 rep range with higher sets. eg: 5×5, 8 x3.

Changing pace like this can stimulate more muscle growth and more importantly, when you go back to 8-12 reps you will be stronger and able to lift heavier weights. More weight = more volume = more muscle growth in the long run.

• Sangrail says:

After seeing a scrawny looking rock-climber kick a buff-looking body builder backwards, forwards, and sideways at any number of strength exercises, I’m less interested in building ‘muscle mass fast’ and more interested in actually gaining strength and fitness.

Seriously, the body builder guy seemed to have *huge* muscles, and yet, when it came to pull-ups, push-ups etc, it seemed like they were mostly ‘fluff’ compared to the scrawny guy.
    What are the recommendations for building dense, rather than big, muscle?

• Femina says:

These tips are quite helpful and practical too.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Have a Good day.
    Femina

• Muscles does not equals fitness and I frown upon the advice on limiting cardio exercise.

Cardio is important for the heart and lungs.

• Larry says:

I push as heavy as possible for 3 sets of 6-8 reps then drop the weight by half and crank out a set of 15-20 what a pump and feel really torched.

• Nicole says:

This list is good, but oh the power of pictures b/c that man is the only reason I had to comment. Good choice :)

• You also have to be careful. It was progressive overload that eventually caused me to blow out my achilles tendon.

I’m on the mend now and I think it’s going to heal pretty well, but it wasn’t pretty and it took a long time . . .

MrAchievement
    Stanley F. Bronstein
    Attorney, CPA, Author & Professional Motivational Speaker

• tracy ho says:

Your tips suit my husband , great post ,

Tracy ho
    wisdomgettingloaded

• joe says:

ok,I really do not wish to argue this point,but gorillas, elephants and other such animals are predisposed to grat threw evolution and genetics,not because of what they eat.And every top level athelete I have ever met has always eaten a geart deal of proteins,and I myself tried a vega diet years ago and I did in fact lose some strength,and lost muscle size.I like the articles here on this site, but I would also like to really drive home that your workouts needs extreme intensity to truly cause truama to those muscles and lots of rest to let those muscle adapt and recover!

• Good post. I would also add that 30-45 sec between sets is crutial for that increased intensity. You don’t have to translate intensity into explosive or super heavy, but the overall volume and time under tension has to be there. So slow and controlled can add plenty of muscle too, and may lead to less injury for those not used to lifting heavy. Oh yeah, start your workout with the largest muscles like the legs and back (squats, deadlifts) and get that T-boost you are looking for. Free weights with compound movements are the only thing people need to worry about…playing on machines won’t get you big and strong.

• goldenzim says:

Good post. I pretty much have been following this type of routine for the last year. Starting with a few heavy sets, then going lighter and upping the reps to finish. The only thing I possibly do different and have found very beneficial is pushing each set to failure – when you can no longer complete that last rep without ‘cheating’ or a spot. the diet is important too as mentioned. More protein, less carbs and don’t sweat the fatty stuff too much seems to do the trick. I’ve managed to gain over 10 pounds in the last year like this, which I’m very happy with.

• I like the list, the title is very misleading. Building Muscle is not a fast process.

• Kutlo says:

Hi!there i want build big muscles, my problem is i cant eat 5-6 times a day because i am a full time employee.from 7:30am until 4;30pm.I can only eat 3 times, break fast lunch and dinner.Can you help me with diet plan that can help me eat enough food to buliding

• 25Stud says:

First off I would like to say that protien is scientifically proven to build protien. I am 25 years old and i have 18″ arms due to the protien intake and hard (hard Core) weight lifting. Thats not massive but its good compared to me being a small scrawny kid a few years ago. Oh and 12 glasses or water is essential to a weight lifter due to the extra water being lost by him. Also most supplement that you take with your workout must have lots of water taken with them. Muscle stimulation and rapid growth is due to changes in your workout such as reps, weight, and sets. Muscle confusion is a must in weight training. Remember 8-12 reps is a must for building muscle and if you dont believe that visit jaycutler.com Im pretty sure he knows what hes talking about. Dont only take protien, take amino acids, and multivitamins, eat well, and also a little creatine has been proven to help recovery times. There are lots of things involved in building muscle and the most important that people just cant seem to wait for is time, its a must. Dont kill your self in the gym but get a good plan together and stick to it. A good plan will target all muscle groups. And now onto rest, rest is a must also at least 8 hours a night and thats a must on nights youve hit the gym. Also a good high intencity cardio secssion less than 20 minutes will support good health but still maintain your heart, besides the intese weight lifting session will also raise your heartbeat alot more than you would expect. Good luck to all of you young lifters and over time go talk to the big guys in the gym you will learn lots.

• Muscle says:

Thanks for the tips.
    Have a Good day.

• Josh says:

I have some trouble with acne after working out: i’m 18 and i love to work out, but this is a recurring problem. I decided to experiment and found i have no problems when i don’t work out, but then i have problems after working out, Any suggestions?

PS. Astringents don’t work too well, and i do bathe and wash my face often)

• Very informative. Thanks for the good tips!

• HGH says:

Those are really some good tips. But do you think that taking those growth hormones actually helps?

• Hello my name is Merle Dean Shamblin and I would like to be your new friend. I sure could use somebody to chat with. I am a 47 year old long haul truck driver who currently lives in Duncan Oklahoma. Dec 8th 1960 I was born in Fairview Oklahoma. Moved to Caddo and Washita counties where I attended school at Colony Hydro and Weatherford. My parents Malvin and Wanda Shamblin were cotton and peanut farmers. Dad died in 99 from lung cancer. Graduated from SWOSU with a business degree. My two sisters are LaDonna Hubert and Malva Burrahm. Dennis is my brother. I have been a truck driver for 14 years and have driven 2 million paid miles. I have received many safe driving awards over the years. I am single and have never been married. I have a wide range of interests and am pretty much an open book. Currently I drive a 2006 Freightliner for a major carrier. I dont go to Canada very often. I dont have a dedicated route so I run the entire lower 48. I enjoy reading cinema music sports travel etc.

• Serbian Rasta says:

There are many things you;ve missed in this article, but overall its a good article for tips.
    lets not fool ourselves, if you want to build muscles fast you need to take creating, proteins, and from then you need to build up onto something stronger. I have never taken human growth hormone, but if you want muslces fast that’s the way to go. If you do follow his guidelines then you will build muscles, but it will take trainings and a lot of hard work. Its not that you can build that in a month, or even in a year, it takes years of training for muscle mass.
    First thing is that you need to be constant, and work out at least 3 times a week. Make yourself a plan (separate the mouscle groups – one of the most important thing in training not mentioned) which you can stay on and work on for the next 3 years (at least). Getting muscles and keeping them (and yourself) in form is hard, but if you do it often and enjoy doing it (like everyone does, and even if you dont at some point when you see differences you will start liking it) you will get your results.
    From the picture on top I can see that you have short biceps and that you may need to do extensions a lot more so they would look better, other then that I see that you took something other then natural food intake (since your muscles look like they’ve been built pretty fast, and they dont look like muscles that are gained from natural sources and over the years – I may be wrong though).
    Ok now to go back to program, and everyone shoudl take this advice.
    Separate your muscles (or work outs) into 3-4 groups.
    I did mine as chests and biceps,
    upper and lowe back and triceps,
    legs and shoulders
    (if you are a started do everything for first four weeks or even more if you think you should build up something so you can separate moucles)
    then I changed to
    legs and biceps
    chests and triceps
    shoulders and back

First start of with bigger mouscle groups and do smaller later (for example, you do bench press first then you do few other things for your chest group and then on the end you do 2-3 exercises for biceps). Its important to remember that you need to drink water at all times, and to take breaks between exercises. I never measure my time, as my work out consists of 1 hour training 3-4 times per week.
    I do not take anything as of yet (and probably the only thing I will take is creating with some proteins) but I do see the difference after 4 months training (I did work out before, but I made a one year break since I had to work and move to Europe).

And the thing I didnt mention is cardio, sit ups, push ups… – that you do whenever your training was not as tiring and you feel like you can do more.

Ok and one final thing :
    I am a smoker, and when I quit smoking for the first time (i started smoking again – stupid of me but I like cigs and weed, so I cant really say that I want to quit again, but who knows I may try again) I gained a lot of weight. If any of you smokers want to quit smoking, the best way is to go to the gym (and I mean go as much as you can). Since your body (methabolism) will drastically change you have a lot of help from your body to gain muscle faster then anyone who doesnt smoke. You will have a lot more energy then when you smoked, and you will have a lot of nervous times (which produces energy) that you can turn into working out and training. I went from 75 kg to 85 in few months and then to 93 which now since I started smoking again I dropped to 83. This is one thing that will work out on your side by quitting smoking (you can turn into muscles faster). O yeah and weed is good for working out, it relaxes your mouscles after work outs and makes them grow faster (if you are a stoner like me).
    Well good luck and hoep everything works out.

THis is program for guys, if any girls wants me to tell her some tips for working out (of course you have to be single :)
    then shoot me an email.

Peace

Serbian Rasta

• Well I’m 15 years old, and I’m sick and tired of being so skinny. My arm is about 12.6″. I started this about 2 weeks ago, I’m sure my muscles haven’t moved but i know i have lost so weight around my stomach. I eat much healthier now and much more than i normally would, I drink about 12 glasses of water everyday. The only thing is i can’t get a hold of WHEY where I’m from(Caribbean), it may sell in my country but i haven’t found it so far. However i eat a lot of cheese & chicken, drink lots of milk and i also drink “Ensure” once a day, its a balanced nutrition drink but only contains 13g of protein.

I weigh about hmm, well I’m tall so i weight about 125 or 130. My arms hurt like hell but i think its worth it. I do these exercise every night of everyday. I do not cheat these routine either. Normally i won’t stop doing reps until my arms start shaking even when i feel the terrible burn, i know its suppose to tear the muscles. Well i’ll be keeping track of my muscles throughout the year i hope to increase my arm to a ATLEAST 15″ by 2010. haha im expecting much more though. I am actually looking for a response from the writer but i would be glad for any comment of my progress so far i always check this page. Thanks alot Ririan.

• :p lol i also play soccer so im fit

• Great article, covering one approach.

In response to section 6: Another alternative to taking anabolic steroids for fast muscle growth is to use prohormones.

Legal bodybuilding supplements can dramatically enhance the effectiveness of the types of diet & exercise

• Great Post! I was reading earlier on and someone had stated how Important it was to stay motivated. To do this I plan to read your post every day, seriously

• Excellent information. Right down to the point. I would like to debate that cardio though. If you have enough carbs in your blood system and glycogen storage, there should be no reason you would be burning muscle. Muscle burning would be in result of having not enough carbs in your system.

• Brenda says:

Your information on vegetarian protein is really lacking and the link you give is to a site that is even worse. Why don’t you use a link to a site like veganbodybuilding.com instead of a non-vegetarian site trying to guess at what veg body builders eat.

• Ayman says:

Great article !!
    i would like to add changing your routine often and supplementing with creatine (for those willing to do it) to that list.

thanks

• Anon says:

I wonder if its ok to smoke, while resting between sets

• Hgh says:

Thanks for your lovely tips.
    I want to know that is it god to take protein capsules?
    Are there any side effects in them?
    I have heard they help to grow muscles very rapidly.

• Serge says:

Good point! You may find this post helpful in order to start your work out – How to Make Exercise a Habit

• jesse says:

what if u have a really high metabolism?

• Some great practical tips here on building muscle mass.

I also believe that adopting a positive mindset and visualising lifting heavy weights can give you a great edge. Combine this with the advice given on this site and you will see your effort paying dividends!

• Pet says:

I think I am already too old for this kind of body.

• Hgh says:

Good general points for sure. Working on ones body is always worth it. It is also good to take little steps in reaching your goals. Don’t try to gain too much too fast. Be realistic and work hard not only on the points above but also work on modivating yourself. Modivation is a HUGE part of reaching any goal. Find ways to modivate yourself and keep at it.

• Zephyr says:

A great and informative article. Thanks for posting.

• Jonathan says:

Is it true that hormones will reduce the size of one’s ding dong?.

• Armand says:

Hey all just wanted 2 say im new to this site and ya it looks 2 me like a few good tips because im…looking 2 try and build without any stuff like roides or all that other junk cause i would rather build natuarly than use sumthing unnatuaral..

• yoyo says:

to make your muscles faster and harder you would have to eat less and go to bathroom and try shitting it. then you will see the best results. you are going to like the way it looks i gurantee it.

• Will says:

Since the new year I’ve started weight training again. I took 2 years off due to work etc and I’ve pretty much lost the shape I had. I started training when I was 17, mainly to play rugby. I’m 21 now and I’m back in the gym and working hard. I’ve missed the feeling you get after a hard workout and my mood has just improved so much. I feel good about myself again and when you feel like that, you become a more positive person overall. As stated above, a calm/relaxed mind is benifical to working out but it’s even more benificial in everyday life.

As stated above motavation is one of the biggest factors for that keeps me going. Mnay people give up beacue they expect to see gains to quickly and when they don’t they see no point in carrying on.

I have old photo’s of me when I was in good shape. For me this is motivation push. It tells me that I’ve done it once, so I can do it again. The first few months are the most vital, your see gains by then and this will give you the motivation you need to carry on.

• HGH says:

Good article but missing a few things. Supplements? You can do quite a bit without supplements but at some point creatins and proteins need to be looked into.

• I’ve read the content of your blog and like it it has a loads of good info on Muscle Building.
    Thanks for the review.

• toning shoes says:

I loved your article. I especially liked the part of eating proper foods. One thing you left out was toning shoes. More and more people are trying toning shoes and many are find them to be the easy way to tone up their legs. Even guys have been using them at an alarming rate.

• massmuscle says:

thanks for posting it, this is a good post. This post provides a good motivation and how to exercise very quickly to build muscle for both beginners and professionals. really – really good article.

• Justin says:

Thanks for the post! I think the best part for me was reminding me to eat more protein. I eat way too many carbs right now, and should really make the switch.

• Charlene Hall says:

Very informative article but I’m hoping somebody here can help me…

My son watched this video here called How to build muscle fast & burn fat in 50 days

do you think this is something he should do at only 16 years of age?

• Ira says:

hey. i need to lose a lot of weight to get into this sport thing. i need to do it in like a month/ two months. i need to lose AT LEAST 20 pounds. any tips?

• Denis says:

Is it necessary to loose weight inorder to start excercise? I this is true with my case because I feel my bones are stressed when I try to run. I also found this popular on the net >> j.mp/c3ndtp

• This blog is nice and informative! Thanks for sharing your thoughts…Visit @ Body Building Supplements

• Roy Connley says:

I find that caffiene shots (not soda) can really help the weight lost part

• danny says:

well this message is for “serbian rasta” you can build build fast it doesnt take years it takes 3 months to build muscle and get ripped body idk but you need to look at the p90x it works… as for everyone wanna build muscle then p90x will work 90days gurantee will get you ripped abs, legs back arms, or if you wanna loose weight super fast you can loose 50-60 punds of weight by doing 60 days gurantee insanity

• danny says:

its not that hard im a nutrionist and all you need to build lean hard muscle as well while working out is your body can absorb 20-25g of protein every 2-3 hours some bodys can take more depend on the workout you do. its iportant to take fish oil, for your joint support, bones, skins this will help your goals as well all your vitamins you need to refuel your muscles.
    consume 23-25 grms of fiber a day.
    1 gallon of water a day..
    know the difference on the carbs you take in on the workout days take specific carbs on rest days take other different carbs.
    eat spinach thats very imprtant as well… different kinds of vegetables colors as possible.
    fruits anything with berries at the end will burn stomach fat.
    nuts.
    egg whites..
    oatmeal..
    this what i eat on a daily basis
    breakfeast:1 1/2 cups of oatmeal
    1/2 pund of vegetables
    3 egg whties

snack: protein shake

lunch: 1 chicken breast, kidney beans, brown rice
    1/2 of vegetsbles

snack: shakeology@

dinner: 1 salmon
    1/2 pund of vegetsbles

before bed time: prtoein shake its important take protein shake before you go to bed your body will get hungry while your asleep so this will help you maintain and build muscle with a protein shake in your body.

• Kelsey says:

july 29th reply
      to the nutritionist;

u forgot to add the pre and post work out meals.

This site, its artical, isint jenny Graig,,,,,,,,,moron.

If u wanna get built, add muscle for what ever? You have to up your cals with all 3:protien, fats, carbs, from there u up your work load poundage. “its a simple math, exactly like not dieting. example 1-800-jenny or grabbing a (muscle development) mag off the rack.

• Joel says:

These are excellent! One thing I’ve not considered is #6. Eating fat is not high on my priority list, as I am trying to maintain a lean look rather than bulky.

• There is some excellent information here, but something that is really important that you haven’t mentioned is that your muscles need time to rest and repair in order to grow and develop.

I’m sure many of your readers will have heard that muscles don’t grow in the gym, but grow when they are resting. It can take 3 to 7 days for your muscles to recover after an intensive workout, so you shouldn’t be working out the same muscle groups again until they have had time to heal and grow, otherwise you will just be continually breaking them down without giving them the chance to grow

• Nice article. I would like to stress that diet is the key. If you aren’t eating properly, you can do all the exercise you want and you will not end up with the physique you are looking for.

• Bhaskar says:

Hey. . Nice article. . In a nutshell, bodybuilding is a beautiful art that requires proper planning, motivation, Hard and consistent work, proper nourishment of the body with high protein diet, good night sleep and more and more and more of everything mentioned above. . Good Luck

• Steve says:

All this advice seems very helpfull. I’m just starting my weight training. I just started to build my home gym and have a few dumbells. I also have some resistance training equiptment. I was wondering if I would reach the same results using resistance training aids rather than weights?
    If that makes any scence I would love a reply.
    Thanks

• terry morton says:

i am new to this program and ive been working out for about two to three years and im really ripped but i cant seem to build and blow up i just cut up like crazy but im trying this and hopfully it works.

• shafi says:

i have grown abs and massive muscles

• amir says:

hi all,
    actually wen am doing excersice my left hand growth is low compare to right though i do same amount of energy for both.
    help me out of this problem.pls

• Kelsey says:

-So your pic; it kinda looks like your genetically skinny, not too mention your disproportioned physique, according to the muscle mass of your biceps in comparison to the rest, that is.
    -Well there ya go! Now what u might want to mention is; any form of exercise results in muscle, its fact the body forms, muscles shape and tone no matter what!
    “Just trying to comfort those whom think its like some big deal, diet, programs, ect.”

• marc says:

im 14 years old i swim 12.5 hours and play 4 hours of rugby a week and i get faster and faster every month in swimming and im a fast runner but i need to gain muscle im 120 solid muscle but olny 5.7 and i play with 16 year olds how log would it take me to gain 10 pounds in muscle??

• mike says:

marc.swimming is one of the best exercises.everybodys different,genetics…etc.120 lbs at 14,not much bodyfat?..the best thing you can do is EAT!!Lots of protien!Shakes!Calories.Good fats and CARBS…eating at the right time helps to.you should eat about 3000 to 3500 cals a day.And weight training 4-5 times a week.Dedication an consistancy!!!couple months you’ll see results

• Daniel says:

These are vry good tips to follow – these are essentially the cornerstones of building your muscle frame correctly.

Thanks to whoever compiled this website page.

• Derek Gillespie says:

Serbian Rasta
    ^ You’re an idiot, you do not need to begin to take creatine, to build muscle growth quickly. You simply need to follow the above instructions and make sure your protein intake is at least the amount og grams as your body weight in lbs.

• Kx2 says:

I just stopped smoking and I am ready to pump some muscle baby!!!

Thanx ‘OUKS’

• Charles says:

Training is not about exhausting yourself. People tend to forget that. This article nicely covers all aspects of muscle building which includes training, dieting and resting. All in balance baby !

• Bob says:

Great advice without the BS. I solid full body program for beginners to learn form followed by a good split focusing on compound movements will do the trick with this info!

• Bob says:

I’m gay.

• Brian says:

i had gastric bypass surgery and am looking to lose 20 pounds i have a lot of joint issues so i am not sure what to do to get it done quickly.

• Johnny says:

Wow, 10 ways to build mucle, Thanks i appreciate this so much that you can’t believe. I will remake my program for the gym with your program and mine in one. Cheers from me!!

• Irish_wong says:

Steroids is the MOST important for the MUSCLE..!!!

• Michael says:

For all of you who think that you’re hard gainers, you are just weak and/or not eating enough.
    Be sure that you eat so much that you gain weight. If you don’t eat enough, you won’t gain any weight!
    And if you are training it can be dangerous, because your body will eat your precious muscle instead of the fish or meat you could’ve eaten.

• Grant says:

my one problem is that my metabolism is so high i cant gain any weight. I eat like a baby rhino and lift three days a week but cant gain anything but im not losing either. any suggestions?

• Mykel says:

Hw many percent sure re u.wel hw many months should it be done

• gary.h says:

thank you so much for the tips, i will be using them in the following months to try and reach my goal. currently weigh just under 70kg, aiming for 90kg :)
    how long would you reackon it would take?
    recent fat percent: 14%
    Gary

• Dub says:

Great information! All good healthy tips and information to build muscle and stay very healthy as well! Thanks!www.buildmuscle.weightlossprograms-info.com

• Dylan says:

now im not a ripped fit guy im actually pretty fat
    and after weightlifting for a year im at the point of will weightlifting help lose the fat or should i stop weight lifting and do more cardio???
    my squat is 245
    my bench press is 145
    my power clean is 135
    and my deadlift is 350
    i dont know if that info is useful but its what my maxes are for those workouts
    at the end of it all i just want to lose my fat and get into either football or into wrestling all help is appreciated

• Hoorah says:

Thanks For The Tips..
      I,ve lost over 100 pounds with mostly cardio.. but then i kinda got stuck with my physical goals until i started lifting.. im in the best shape of mylife.. but been wanting to gain more muscle but not fat..

• ashwin says:

hey guys., ashwin here.., i have just started with the gym., weight lifting, running, and the abs exercise., can you plz. give some tips like ., i weigh about 80kgs. n want to reduce to 55-60 kgs. in lesser period of time., can you suggest what I shall do to achieve my goal.., plz. help., waiting for your reply …, thanks., regards..,

• Spartacus says:

Without cardio you won’t do it,you can gain muscles of course but they will be hidden under the fat.This article is more for people that already have definition and now just wanna gain muscle mass,not for beginners.This is the last step of building a great body,not the first.I’m talking from my own experience,so you can write how much you want and read a bunch of books,this is wrong…oh yes I almost forgot…build muscle mass fast?hahahahaha yeah sure….it’s not about timing it’s about discipline,motivation,never giving up,sweating a lot,some crazy mp3 in the background,and eating more carbs than protein,not stupid shakes,you need 70% carbs and 30% proteins…..eating that much proteins(without carbs) means loosing weight.Eat a lot of pasta to gain strenght for a heavy workout that’s the biggest secret!!!Oat Flakes for breakfast!!!

• Solid list! Anyone who follows this and is consistent in their efforts to build muscle and improve their physique cannot go wrong.

Mark

• nazir says:

i have been gyming for atleast 1 year honestly i havent followed any eating programme , i was 48 kgs yes 48 and now im 64kgs with lean muscle ,being indian i eat alot of stuff thats not good eg curries and oily foods , i have just been taking a mass building supplyment and a testosterone booster all found in stores, i will love to consider trying this as i will like to see my full potential..should i stick to what i am doing or try new stuff p.s advice will be appreciated

• Priyabrat says:

its works……….
    ……… jst follow the tips…………..& will find a great body……!!

• guri says:

how to gain muscle mass but not fat… m prob is wen i eat to grow.. m fat also inc very fast … plz help.. i wanna increase muscle size…

• Jon says:

HOLD UP. Huge problem with your guide. You should NOT do cardio after a workout. You must do it BEFORE. If you do it after, then begin to burn muscle rather then fat. I know I’m a no-name on this website, but this is a fact.

• matt says:

Hey I’ve been hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, I do high weight low reps, I weigh about 210 and my belly is still kinda fat even though my arms and pectoral’s are hudge, I eat alot of food like fast food and pasta, my question is, if I were to eat less would that kill my muscle? or would I burn all my fat before it burns my muscle if you know what I mean.

• Yuvraj says:

Oh my god, what an article man. This was all i was searching for many days to maximise my muscle growth. I just wanna thank u for this.

• Chachi says:

I eat a lot and very healthy, I’ve been hitting the gym Monday through Friday while taking Aftershock Critical Mass protein shakes (52g protein) and I also take Mutant Plexx which is a quad stack anabolic steroid, and in 2 weeks I have gone from 175 to 185. I’m only 5’8″ my body is sturdy and I still have agility, I’m aiming for 200 lbs. I am aware that it is best to separate body part workouts, but my ADHD kicks in and I just start working everything out everyday. But hey it works for me, to each his own.

• This is a great plan to help build muscle mass. I’ve been trying this lately and it’s really helped. Do you think it’s important to focus on weight loss as well when attempting to build muscle mass?

• jose416 says:

So how can I lose belly fat and get my abs back that I had before? I would like to do this by the end of the year. If anyone has REAL tips or sites that actually do help it would be great.

• ajayz 416 says:

Iv been a personal trainer for 11 years now and I’m just 20.the point is right now I’m the most muscular 20year old on my block,so the earlier the better yall

• Mario says:

Good list for beginners trying to start a regular workout habit. I would probably make them print this and stick is all over the apartment as a reminder :)

• jose' says:

I think it great stuff for people who are new to the muscles building lifestyle…but if your not smart enough to take it and add to it with individual research, them it a sign your lazy and need to be spoon fed and that’s a bad place to start.

• That’s great muscle building tips for beginners. One of the most informative articles I’ve come across on this topic.

• Dustin says:

i am a diabetic that depends on insulin shots i also have a cortisol deficiancy aka addisons disease for years i have been unhealthy all together two weeks ago today i got it all together this artical is correct except for few steps cardio is backward and cortisol which i have issuse with does not kill muscle it makes you gain weight fat not muscle just fat i went from being 113 pounds to non stop weight lifting and extreme eating as if i wanted to be a fat ass true well two weeks later today im sitting at 134 pounds with more strength dont stress eat like its goin out of style and lift what you can barely lift because torn muscles scar and heal witch is layers of tissue and if you smoke it will be harder to succeed because in order for protein to make it to your muscles you need a good blood flow and pressure smoking effects this and makes it unproper

• Hassan says:

Like my self who have high metabolism found it is very difficult to build muscle fast. Even I eat a lot of foods, it is also difficult to maintain the weight because my body burn calories very efficient.

But I agree with you that drink a lot of water is very helpful. Because our body consist of 70% of them.

Thanks for your this article.

• Jorgen says:

I m 6 foot 6 inches, very high metabolism, and weigh only 173 pounds, and my age is 19 what can i do ?

• Bob says:

I weigh 120 bench 165 deadlift 315 and squat 205

• Daniel says:

I’m 5’9 and started on 15th March with quiting smoking and changing my life style. I have gone from 66 kilos to 78 kilos in 4 months(thats 25 pounds). Started with light training and running in open air for first 3 months and now going to the gym 5 days a week working all groups all muscles for about 2.5 hours a day. I don’t know what works for you lads but this system works wonders for me. Oh and I forgot to mention – eat troughout the day – chicken, beef, tuna, whey shakes, lots of milk and fruits. You’ll get there. You only need determination.

• arvind says:

WHAT ABOUT HERBALIFE..IS WEIGHT MANAGEMENT

• Harold says:

Superb tips Ririan. Proper workout plan and diet are definitely the key factors to build muscle mass fast. Be consistent and stay focus to reach your target!

• Mikkel says:

Hello. I’ve tried this for about 1 month, and it is really working out! I am 187cm high, and my weight was 72,4kg’s when i started on this..Now my weight is 85kg’s. And It is not fat, it is actually muscles. I really appreciate this guide. Helped me a lot to get to my goal. I’ve also printed this “article” and gave it to some of the other guys at the gym, and they are also loving the result of this. Thank you very much.

• Cedric says:

Your tips have made a huge difference! I’m at 165lbs. I know it’s not much but I’m making progress. What’s really helped me so far is eating more of the lean protein throughout the day so thank you so much for that advice. I also used some tips from weightgainformen.org which I used to gain my weight as well. Keep up the awesome posts and take notes guys….it really does work!

• ravi says:

Really thanks for this tips i will follow everything……

• Aaron says:

well, i cant afford protein powder, will i still put on muscle or not ?

• gain muscle says:

This article contains the correct information one needs to know to build muscle mass. Progressive overload and eating right is key. I like how you make the note that a good bodybuilding diet will allow you to grow muscle without adding fat at the same time. This is very important, because your efforts are to gain muscle not fat.

• Shafrin says:

This Advices Are Very Importent. I Agree This Is True!!!

• That’s going to be a very helpful post can anyone told me that it has any side-effect or nor because I already suffer from using that kind of products. If any suggestions please tell me.?

• kevin tran says:

This is a great plan for beginner – 3 times a week full body workout – for about a month. After that point stagnation will creep in, at that point you have to deload for a week – that is reduce weight by 40% and increase rep by 20%. Essentially giving your body a rest from the heavy stress placed on the body. After 6 months of this you will want to jump to the intermediate level at which point 4-HIML plan is the best. (HIML – one week heavy 5-7 rep, one intense 6-8-10 rep decreasing weight superset , one medium 10-12 rep, one light 15-20 rep).

• name says:

so a plan could go like this: 8 reps, next workout 10 reps, next workout 12 reps, then add weight and go back to 8 reps and repeat

• kevin anabol says:

i dont understand why you haff to work out so litle ? 45 minutes? i work out for 1 hour and a half or 2 houres ? isent that good

• francis xavier says:

i’m very thin my weight is only 51kgs and i’m 5.9ft height…. how can i gain more weight and a better body structure… i dont need any 6pacs or anything just i only want to gain more weight and muscle

• Mike says:

You eat. Eat things with a lot of protein and complex carbohydrates. Protein + weight training = increase in muscle. Complex carbs don’t burn as quickly and therefore are less likely to turn into fat by the time you use them. Complex carbs are most commonly found in green vegetables. Don’t avoid grains, just limit them and pack on the veggies. Grains, if eaten en masse and not immediately worked off, will lead to fat gain, which could work out fine for you if you so desire, but they won’t work as well if you’re trying to keep low body fat. Other than that, meats, dairy, and protein supplements are your friend, along with those freeweights.

• Jordan says:

lex carbs don’t burn as quickly and therefore are less likely to turn into fat by the time you use them. Complex carbs are most commonly found in green vegetables. Don’t avoid grains, just limit them and pa Jordan

• Fitness Freak says:

Use Visual Impact Programme
    It will change your life forever.

• Denis says:

Great information but would have like if it was video instruction. In that case I like this popular product http://x.co/13e2n

• Dymo says:

nformation but would have like if it was v Dymo